Sunday, February 20, 2011

Old Biscuit Mill




Saturday starts early here: it's market day. A few suburbs over is the Old Biscuit Mill, where locals gather under the two big permanent tents to buy locally grown produce and locally produced goods like wine, breads, cheeses, or chocolates. I'd been excited to get here since I heard of it last weekend, and frankly it was everything I'd hoped for and more. Each tent is overflowing with people eager to purchase the freshest and best ingredients, and the atmosphere is ripe with contented perusal and happy murmuring as people look over the goods for sale. Some of the stands sell prepared food, such as freshly made paninis, steak sandwiches (literally the best steak sandwich you'll ever eat, made on chiabata bread drizzled with olive oil, fresh tomatoes and lettuce, sprinkled with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper and I recommend the onion glaze, and topped off with huge chunks of perfectly cooked and super-tender steak) or even desserts such as apple tarts or chocolate dipped chocolate chip cookies the size of your face (also incredibly delicious). Scattered around the tents are long benches where you can take your edible prizes and enjoy to your heart's content with friends. A few girls from Liesbeeck and I were there for two hours, and if I'd had more money on me I probably would have spent the whole of it on the amazing foods on display. Definitely a Saturday morning staple from now on!

1 comment:

  1. SOUNDS DELICIOUS! MY stomach is grumbling now (time for lunch)...

    ReplyDelete