Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Beach and South African Museum

Hello Again! Sorry it's been so long: time is literally flying by here! I can't believe I've already been here for two weeks. Sometimes it feels like I just got here, and then at other times I feel like I've always been here... very bizarre.
I'll make this post quick as I'm about to leave for Simon's Town, but just a recap of what I've been up to:
Sunday one of the socials (clubs) on campus, RAG, took every0ne to the beach in Muizenburg for the day. The weather was perfect despite an overcast morning, but I'm starting to get used to the fact that here the weather on any given day will change several times over before nightfall. The train runs directly from close by the res to the beach, so it's super easy to get there, which is really nice. Unfortunately I forgot to put sunscreen on my ears, so they were a bit crispy by the time I got back to the res.
Monday a few of the CIEE girls and I took the Jammie to one of the smaller campuses in town, called Hiddingh Campus, where you can walk downtown to check out the museums, restaurants, and shops. We took a stroll to Greenmarket Square, where tons of vendors set up to sell goods from all over Africa (and those of you who love a bargain can barter to your heart's content for things like Kenyan masks, jewelry, wooden bowls, carvings, and spears). If you ever come to Cape Town, Greenmarket Square is definitely a cool place to check out.
Yesterday we thought we'd head back towards Greenmarket to look at some of the museums in the area. The South African Museum seemed like the place to start, and at R5 for student entry (that's less than a dollar for those of us who aren't that great at math!) we couldn't say no. The exhibits were really great: from African rock art dating back 80,000 years to dinosaur skeletons, whales and other sea creatures, and even a wonderful photography exhibit. I literally wanted to spend all day there, but the rest of the group decided it was time for some ice cream and shopping, so I was dragged away:( I have every intention of getting back soon though to finish my explorations and check out some of the other great museums in the area.
We strolled down Long Street, arguably the main artery of the city, and found a place called the Pan African Market: a four-story maze of tiny shops full of African goods, where you can literally find anything you're looking for. While my friend Rohanna found a carved wooden mask and managed to talk the seller down from R250 to R100, I picked up some awesome jewelry (I managed to leave all my jewelry at home, and have felt practically naked without it!) for a veritable steal. I made friends with one of the vendors who sold me a wooden and beaded necklace, Isaac, who also works at a restaurant nearby called Mama Africas. He promised that if we called ahead and told them we knew him, we'd get a table, no problem. I've head the restaurant is amazing, so I'm eager to try some name-dropping if it'll get us in!
After we left the Pan African Market, we found another shop (I can't remember the name but I'll definitely get it when I go back) with three floors of goods: beautiful artwork, more jewelry, carved ostrich shells, tapestries, etc. I was looking for some cool souvenir ideas when I met a woman named Helen, who was very helpful is showing me some of the great tapestries and mancala boards she had for sale. While I didn't end up buying anything from her, she promised me a good price on the tapestries should I come back; and that she won't forget me as her daughter's name is also Kate.
So today we're off to Simon's Town with one of the RAs, Farai, to check out the cool shops out there and grab some lunch, so I have to go but I'll try and post pictures of that tonight when I get back as it's going to be a full day for me tomorrow of White Shark Cage Diving!

No comments:

Post a Comment