Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Getting Caught Up Again...


Sorry it's been a while since my last post: classes are finally starting to pick up, and with plans being made for midterm break on top of volunteering and other things I've hardly had time to do too much else.
However, I did manage to get back to Old Biscuit Mill on Saturday, and you'll be pleased to know that it's still fantastic and still delicious. I have a few more pictures for you just in case you didn't get the full extent of how wonderful this place is. I decided after much deliberation and serious thought that instead of going with the steak sandwich again I'd branch out and try something new. The ostrich burger with mushroom sauce was beyond words, and I scarfed it down with little guilt despite it being the size of my face. Extra hours have been logged at the gym to make up for it, but it was totally worth it.
Saturday night CIEE took us to another rugby match (Stormers against the Cheetahs, although I have no idea where the Cheetahs are from). Our seats were slightly better this time, but not by much, although the game was still exciting and a lot of fun. No major fights broke out this time, although there was a die-hard Cheetahs fan sitting not too far from me who was not only painted like a cheetah on his chest, arms, face, and legs, but also wearing a plastic hardhat with a cheetah plastic figurine on top. Whenever the Cheetahs scored he would leap from his seat and complete some weird chanting and chest thumping in the aisle. No one seemed to pay him too much attention but he kind of creeped me out (I think it was the chanting in a foreign language).
Sunday was a day for work and sun, as I couldn't get anyone to go with me to the District Six museum (a museum dedicated to the entire neighborhood that was unfairly moved during apartheid) which was frustrating, but instead I worked on some reading for class and sat out by the pool to "get my tan on" as the people like to say around here. All-in-all it was a nice low-key kind of day and while it didn't go as planned I made it work.
Yesterday was a little more exciting as I was asked to be volunteer leader at the Manenburg program, so essentially I was in charge of running the lesson for the day. Well, let's just say that teaching is not a genetic trait... I have not inherited Mom's ability to dominate the classroom with her presence and silence unruly children with a silent, steely glare. The kids weren't exactly horrible, but they weren't great either as we had a hard time getting them to stay focused, and at one point half of them ran out of the room because "something was going on" down the way that they just had to see. Once we herded them back into the room (think herding cats: that's how the kids are sometimes) I couldn't figure out what exactly they'd been so eager to see, but we ended up finishing the session a little early because they were pretty much mentally gone at that point and none of the volunteers had the energy to try and keep them focused any longer. I'm a little disappointed that things didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked, but it could have been a lot worse.
So I'm pretty positive teaching is not the direction my life is going to go in, but at least I gave it a shot this week, and hopefully next time (all the volunteers rotate as volunteer leader each week) I'll have a better idea of how to conduct a productive classroom. I'm definitely getting some pointers and tips from Mom, that's for sure:)

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Sorry have not been good about posting comments but please know I am loving every adventure and amazing photo you have posted. It sounds like you are having the experience of a life time! Continue to enjoy it and know that we miss you. Stay safe have fun and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyo!
    While I love to read your posts and eagerly await new additions, I am not displeased to see that you've got your hands full and are taking time to enjoy the experience instead of typing :) I'm definitely going to be hitting up the Ostrich Burger when I get down there. If you can find anywhere where you can eat Ostrich eggs, that would allow me to fulfill a child-hood dream (and I don't care if you think that's weird, but it was on my Bucket List decades before that was a movie),

    Sounds like the teaching is a little rougher than expected. I hope you stick with it though. You should remember that you are cutting your teeth in some of the most trying of circumstances. I bet you are doing much better than you expect and would be able to reign in a typical US classroom without issue. I can hook you up with folks who have done Teach For America; I've heard some stories of difficulty from many a new teacher. To be honest, while I was reading about your endeavors, I couldn't help from drawing parallels with what I'm dealing with Rawlins right now. The little *guy* just seems to have decided that doing his own thing is way more fun than sticking with the program regardless of my efforts. Anyway, keep us posted and I look forward to the next time we can chat.

    ReplyDelete